Thursday, October 15, 2009

Plarn and Scrarn, Plus a Reused Notebook

So, I'm procrastinating :D (now surprisingly) because too much hydrology makes me blheerrgh. I got back my organic chem test back and wow, I did better than I thought I did but I still did pretty bad (I barely reached the average) so I will start hitting those books.

I got a lot of scrap yarn from Maggie which I greatly appreciate. So far I made a dishcloth which keeps curling on the sides so I might unravel it, and a couple of coasters. I was looking into 'crazy yarn' which is a bunch of scrap yarn tied together and what people made with it. Someone crocheted a really cool looking doormat which I'm tempted to try out but I'm pretty sure I don't have enough yarn. I might use the yarn for weaving a mat instead. What will I weave with you ask?

PLARN! I've been complaining about the growing container of plastic bags that hides out in the kitchen shelf and stuffed our canvas bags with them so we reuse them when we go shopping. Instead, I've decided to use the bags for something...and the perfect project in mind is DOORMATS! We need two; one for the exit near my room (which sucks because stuff gets everywhere and eventually into my room) and one in the entrance, since it's probably going to snow soon and wiping our feet on something might keep the house clean. This will solve two problems because I can finally get rid of both the scrarn and and plarn ;D. I'll tell you how it goes...That reminds me, I should probably take a picture of the coasters before I unravel them <3. All that time spent on them will go to waste if I don't even get a souvenir from them.

So, I had a meeting with Jim Wolf to talk about the campaign for reducing paper consumption on SUNY Binghamton's campus. While I was researching potential prizes for this campaign, I came across this really great Instructable on how to make notebooks using cardboard, single sided printed office paper and twine using the Japanese bookbinding technique. This is a great way of spreading awareness of the the amount of paper we waste on campus and make something neat out of it. I'm going to Michael's with Mary on Friday and hopefully we can get this project going. I already scavenged around the Bartle library to find some printed paper that can be used. Mary suggested that I erase any names that are on the paper so that they won't come get us if we do hand them out. I'm really excited!

Alas, all my extracurricular activities are weighing me down and my academic side is taking the toll. I should study more >_____>...hoho. Well, since I'm in the Science Library, I think I'm gonna find some more paper for the project ;D... Tootaloo~

No comments: